Saturday, January 07, 2006

Oh What a Holiday!

I took our Christmas tree down today. That's always kind of hard for me to do, seeing as I enjoy the Old Taunenbaum so much. I've always relished creeping into the room, lying on the couch, and staring at the tree in otherwise dark surroundings. A habit I picked up from my wife is to squint my eyes and make all the lights turn into dazzling stars. For a special treat if I'm wearing my glasses instead of my contacts, I take my glasses off--then the tree really puts on a show!

I think what I love most about the tree though is the whole season that it's a part of. I have so many fond memories of Christmastime. When I was younger I looked forward to our annual family Christmas Eve gathering and program that always included a reenactment of the Nativity. After the program, I always came in dressed up like Santa to hand out treats. On Christmas morning, I remember waiting impatiently as my Dad took FOREVER to get ready before we went downstairs to see what Santa had brought.

My two Christmas seasons in Hong Kong were extremely memorable, in that I came to really appreciate the important things, and how much better it is to give than to receive.

And there is nothing that can compare to sharing Christmas with your special someone, and watching Christmas together through your own children’s eyes. The festivity increases as you see them experience the awe and wonder that you already know, and start traditions of your own.

Even though our family is maturing now, this Christmas was no exception. We were able to see all of our family by traveling to Utah for Christmas, then to Georgia for New Year’s Eve. We experienced added yuletide cheer as a result of superb in-laws and a beautiful new granddaughter. We returned home well-fed and full of many fond memories to add to our collection.

So, for now I store the white mini-lights, listen one more time to Bing Crosby's "Round and Round the Christmas Tree", and tuck those memories away in a good place. I’m already looking forward to next year when we trim the tree to begin another holiday season.

Until then, my evergreen friend.

4 comments:

niki said...

I wear glasses too and I love my Christmas tree as well. I always take my glasses off to see the "stars".

Leezy Lindsey said...

I had a wonderful Christmas too. I am so thankful that you could come to Georgia! We're keeping our tree up for a couple more days...I'm just not ready to say goodbye. I hate how empty the house feels when you take all the decorations down.

Blake said...

Great post rick! I enjoyed reading it, and it was great to see yall for the holidays.

Sara said...

I hate taking holiday decorations down, too -- especially the tree. We'd probably keep the tree up until summertime, if I had my way!

It was a very fun Christmas and New Year's Eve! I loved getting to know Lindsey more and visiting with you guys.